Cordless Phones

cordless phoneAll modern  cordless phones emit a similar type of pulsed microwave radiation to  mobile phones. They are known as DECT – Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications. Microwave radiation emissions are very high from the phone itself and the base unit. These base stations emit their radiation even when the phone is not in use. The base units emit microwaves continuously 24 hours a day as long as they are plugged in. Cordless phones are therefore not a safe option to have in your home or workplace.  

A cordless phone is effectively a mobile phone, and its base is like a mobile phone mast in your house or office. The safest solution is to replace cordless phones with wired landline phones.

The radiation from base and handset penetrates through walls so unplugging or removing altogether is the safest option.   People may also be unaware of neighbours using cordless phones which pulses penetrate right through walls. 

Eco Dect

There are some cordless phones (Eco Dect) that emit lower EMFs when not in use, but only when not in use and resting in the base unit.  The radiation is not reduced when making calls. When using and making calls, the handset is constantly emitting pulsed microwave radiation into the user’s head. We strongly recommend that you do not use cordless phones at all.

If you must use a cordless phone, get one which gives you the option to put on Eco mode (lowering the radiation when not in use), keep the base unit and extra handsets away from where you sit or sleep, and most importantly away from children and babies.

Evaluation of Mobile Phone and Cordless Phone Use and Glioma Risk  – M Carberg & L Hardell Dept of Oncology, Sweden – March 2017 BioMed Research International

Mobile And Cordless Phone Radiation Alters Brain Proteins: May Be Key To Cancer And Dementia Environmental Health Trust

Cordless Microwave Phones – A Path to Illness 

Cordless Phones: Even More Dangerous Than Cell Phones? Electric Sense- Lloyd Burrell

Wireless baby monitors also use DECT technology, and are therefore transmitting microwave radiation while in use, close to your baby and throughout your home. We recommend you replace these with wired plug-in baby monitors.