“There is no safety level for children for microwave radiation. Not one”
Barry Trower, Microwave Weapons Expert UK
Today’s children are exposed to more electromagnetic and microwave radiation over their lifetime than ever before, and this exposure is increasing at an alarming rate from mobile phone masts, smart phones, wifi, wireless broadband, bluetooth, cordless phones, smart meters and smart devices. Children are more vulnerable to the damaging health effects from wireless microwave and electromagnetic radiation than adults. “Compared with adults, research on children shows that microwave radiation is absorbed twice as much into their brain, up to triple in their brain’s hippocampus and hypothalamus and up to ten times as much into the bone marrow of skull.” Environmental Health Trust
Department of Health Ireland Chief Medical Officer (Press Release June 2011) “….research does show that using mobile phones affects brain activity. There is general consensus that children are more vulnerable to radiation from mobile phones than adults.” “…the Chief Medical Officer of the Department of Health and Children strongly advises that children and young people who do use mobile phones, should be encouraged to use mobile phones for “essential purposes only” All calls should be kept short as talking for long periods prolongs exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields.”
American Academy of Pediatrics (2013) – Letter to US Government Agencies, FCC & FDA, on Health Effects of Cell Phone & Wireless Radiation on Children.
The Stewart Report UK (2000) states that children absorb more energy per Kg of body weight from an external electromagnetic field than do adults.
“Exposures in bone marrow may be up to ten times greater in children than adults.” (Microwave News, 2008, 22nd July)
This picture shows the effects of a mobile phone on the brain by age.
Children have softer, smaller bones and skulls, they absorb higher levels of damaging radiation from wifi, smartphones, cordless phones, mobile phone masts, smart meters etc. Radiation from these devices can cause weakening and leakage of the blood-brain barrier – this being the brain’s first line of defence against infections and toxic chemicals.
Studies link EMF exposure in children to emotional and behavourial problems, autism, ADHD, insomnia, depression, epilepsy, diabetes, brain tumours and childhood cancers.
What we suggest:
- Replace wireless devices (wifi, cordless phones, baby monitors) with safer, and more reliable wired options – ethernet cables. Please note that hardwiring your computer, laptop etc does not mean no access to the internet. In fact, hardwiring is not only better for yours and your children’s health, but safer in terms of internet security and faster also See here for solutions.
- If you must use Wifi, then turn keep router away from children, turn it off when night in use and especially at night time.
- Limit children’s use of mobile phones, wireless devices, or cordless phones, except in an emergency.
- Remember that some games consoles and tablets also operate wirelessly. Turn smart phones and tablets to airplane mode when playing games on them – this will reduce most of the wireless radiation, but not magnetic fields, so limited use is advisable.
- Keep smart phones, wireless and electrical devices (electric blankets, plug in radios etc) out of your child’s bedroom and away from their bed. For babies, use plug-in baby monitors instead of wireless ones.
- Never use a mobile phone or wireless device in a moving vehicle, especially with children on board. The signal strength is stronger in a metal container, therefore radiation bounces around inside a vehicle, increasing your exposure and that of any other passengers.
- Keep your school wired, or replace existing wifi with wired internet connections. Access to the internet is still available but with less exposure to radiation. Talk to your school principal, teachers and parents’ committee. Please don’t wait until your child or someone else’s child gets sick before doing something. READ MORE ON WIFI IN SCHOOLS HERE
- Read Environmental Health Trust’s (www.ehtrust.org) Answers To Commonly Asked Questions – Children and Wireless Radiation
Click on the image below to visit the Image Gently campaign website.